Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Void of Reason Beyond the Door of Meaninglessness

What am I going to do once I’ve opened up the door? I thought as I opened up the door.

When I closed the door behind me, the question had still not been resolved. There was no point of me walking through the door. I thought. But there’s even less of a point for me to go back through the door since I have just gone through it and am not facing in its direction. So I continued walking.
This walking is nice, but it does seem rather pointless, I could be spending this time doing something more. I stopped walking, but the eerie stillness gripped me quite immediately and I began to walk again.

I wasn’t walking in a straight line, but I took special care to make sure I wasn’t going in circles.
Some lights started flashing, competing against each other to reel me in. That light is certainly the brightest and most interesting. I thought as I began to wander toward it.
But then another light hit me. Hard. What was that? I thought as I spun around to face the direction of the pain. There was a large yellow light staring at me, grinning. Then it vanished to be replaced by a red light and I was hit again.
Before I had a chance to react, the light became yellow again and without knowing why I began to swiftly make my way to it.
Every once in a while the light would change and hit me again, but I knew that there was also a peaceful side to the light, and that’s what I was drawn to.
I didn’t realize that every other light was always peaceful, or if I did I didn’t rationally process it. Past that meaningless door lies a void of reason, one just does or does not. So I continued jogging to the only light that had every hurt me because it was unique and offered freedom from itself.
After hours of walking toward the attitude shifting light, I began to grow tired of its antics. Why did it have to keep hurting me? And again, I was flooded with meaninglessness. Why am I walking towards it anyways? What am I going to do once I’ve reached the light?
Because I couldn’t answer I stopped moving.
And I stood there...
For a while...
Until I began to come aware of the inherent meaninglessness of doing nothing.

And then I moving in a direction I didn’t even know was possible.
I was moving through myself.

3 comments:

  1. You would like Franz Kafka

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why is there something rather than nothing? So that this blog can exist. Finally the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Franz Kafka!

    And thanks close relative whose precise identity I am unsure of. I like to think of our human ability to think, create, and preserve creations as a nice side effect of existence that can be used to dance with the meaninglessness.

    ReplyDelete